Saturday 28th May
11:00 - 16:45
Venue: Festival Big Top
Join us for an engaging, inspiring and fun-packed day, focusing on all things ‘green’.
Star of the show will be a full-size inflatable whale! Bold explorers who squeeze inside the whale will find themselves in the depths of a bubbling, kelp-swirling ocean. With the use of exquisite puppets, comedy and music, they’ll explore a tale of sea creatures and their battle to survive in an ocean full of rubbish. The audience help to save the whale and an ancient leatherback turtle from a deluge of plastic and travel from the Indian ocean to a coral reef, leaving feeling empowered that everyone can make a difference. There will be six whale shows throughout the day. See Children's Events on the website to book. The Whale is sponsored by Rampion Offshore Wind.
Kicking off the day will be a children’s parade around the Fletchers Croft area led by Goran the recycled sea dragon. All the local primary and pre-schools are taking part, as well as the Woodcraft Group. Youngsters are making sea creature costumes and musical instruments out of recycled materials, so it should be quite a scene! Children aged 0-8 and siblings are all welcome, and will need to be accompanied by an adult. It will be a gentle walk with no road closures in place this year.
There will be loads of displays, demonstrations and stalls throughout the day. Highlights will include:
• An electric car (EV) and e-Bike Parade – this will do a circuit of the High Street leading people to the Green Day venue at Fletchers Croft. You’ll be able to chat to their owners afterwards to find out what it’s like to own an EV or e-Bike.
• The “Inspiration Eco Station”, a converted 1974 milk float laden with green information and hosting an interactive gameshow testing out your green knowledge.
• Information trucks promoting recycling and water conservation from West Sussex County Council and Southern Water.
• Steyning Parkour for Seniors Team will be on hand to demo the outdoor gym equipment for those senior residents of Steyning.
• Stalls covering bee keeping, woodturning, recycling & repairing, tree planting, bug hotels, saving energy at home, and much more.
Rounding the day off, local green groups are combining forces for a session in the Big Top tent entitled: “We’re all in it for nature: Celebrating and protecting local biodiversity”.
Greening Steyning will be launching a short film and an interactive map showcasing local biodiversity hot spots, based on the results of a detailed nature mapping project carried out over the past year. There will also be presentations from Steyning for Trees, Steyning Downlands Scheme, Steyning Community Orchard, St Andrew’s and St Peter’s Churches, and the Life on the Verge project.
One way or another, Green Day should be a day to remember!
The Green Day Schedule:
10.45: EV & e-Bike Parade sets off from Fletchers Croft
11.00: Children’s parade sets off
11.00 - 12.00: EV & e-Bike showcase in the car park
11.45 – 16.45: Whale shows, sponsored by Rampion Offshore Wind (Please book a ticket for this event)
12.00: EV & e-Bike Q&A session in Big Top tent
12.00: Steyning Parkour for Seniors Team will be on hand to demo the outdoor gym equipment for those senior residents of Steyning.
12.45 & 14.45: Interactive shows at the Inspiration Eco Station
15.00: We’re all in it for nature: Celebrating and protecting local biodiversity – presentation in Big Top tent
Ice creams and delicious vegetarian street food on sale from some great food vendors (Pizza Oven, Vegan Earthlings, Prickly Pear Kitchen, Dairy Diva Ice Cream Van) + the Festival bar will be open.